In Swedish »

Frösö Kyrka

At Frösö church, a magnificent view of Storsjö countryside opens up and mountain values. Here many choose to marry, but the church is so much more than a beautiful wedding venue - it also has a solid history.

Frösön is Storsjön’s largest island. According to the old myths, the island was dedicated to the fertility god Frö. The inscription on the rune stone – which stands next to the Hornsberg church near the Frösöbron – tells that Östman Gudfast’s son let Christian Jämtland in the middle of the 1000s. At Frösö cemetery, ancestors from different eras date back to pre-Christian times. The frog son’s “celebrity” No. 1 – composer Wilhelm Peterson-Berger – has his grave near the southern church wall.

800 years ago
Frösö church was probably begun to be built in the late 12th century. The plan today is the same with the exception of the sacristy that came later. The armory consists of the remains of a medieval tower whose upper parts collapsed during the 18th century. In the niche in the choir is a shrine from the 13th century. On the north side of the choir is the sacrament cabinet where the consecrated communion breads are stored; a red prayer lamp marks the presence of Christ. Two medieval saints, the Virgin Mary on the north and the patron saint of Olof the Saint on the south, indicate the importance of the church as a pilgrimage church.

In 17th century clothes
The Barrier Barrier has paintings from the 17th century depicting biblical figures dressed in 17th century garments. The baptismal font in limestone was donated in 1698 by Captain Treffenberg and his wife. The brass bowl for the baptismal font bears the year 1637, but is made in Nuremberg about 1520. At the front of the choir, on the south side, is a niche with paintings from the 17th century.

The present altar set was added in 1708 and the altar ring in 1778. The new pulpit was designed in rococo in 1781 by sculptor Johan Edler d ä.

1800s and 1900s
A fire in 1898 destroyed the decorative murals of the 17th century. However, all fixtures could be saved. The church was rebuilt after the fire, but it was not until 1930 that the church’s interior got the look it has today.

In 1985, the church was provided with a bridal chamber by the northern wall of the porch. There is a picture weave composed and woven by Kerstin Bränngård.


Östersund city centre: 7 km
Åre Östersund Airport: 6 km
Östersund train station: 8 km


Stockevägen 16 Frösön
Website: Frosokyrka.se